6 Ways to Manage Work Related Stress

Monday, October 27, 2014

Have you ever been so stressed out at work where you feel like you kind of just want to quit and walk dogs all day? Lately, I've had my fair share of work blues. I'm exhausted, occasionally unmotivated, incredibly stressed, and dropping the ball on some tasks. Granted, one of the reasons is attributed to the fact that I cannot say no, but I've been working on it. I decided to share the top 5 ways I have, and am currently using to battle these work blues.

1. Talk to your Boss
I know this is hard, especially if you are not close with your boss. I work far too many hours to not be close with the people I work with. Frankly, I wouldn't enjoy my job if I didn't like and trust the people I work with. When I am too overloaded, I explain what I am going through. I actually cried once, haha, but I explained what I am feeling. Usually, if approached correctly, they are very receptive. I explained that I feel like I am not crossing anything off my todo list, and that incredibly frustrates me. I like to work on a task and get it done, and cross that off my list. That accomplishment is a great feeling, however, I often get sucked into the 200 e-mails that come to me before 4pm.

2. Prioritize
Some stressful and hectic days, I make my list and prioritize. Once I do my own prioritizing, I run it by my boss and see what he needs and adjust my list from there

3. "Treat yo self"
My usual lunch spot is at my desk. Pathetic, I know, but I feel like I need to stay in and get it done. Which, I guess can be honorable, but there are many days where I don't go outside from 6am to 5pm. It's not healthy and really gets me down. I started to treat myself to a walk to grab a latte, a trip to the mall (I try not to buy anything),  grabbing lunch with co-workers, and even sometimes massages etc. I know those add up but sometimes you just need that mental break!

4. Have Fun
I am pretty sure people would categorize me as someone who is pretty much upbeat a majority of the time at work. Laughing at work usually helps reduce stress and makes me enjoy being there. I often like to listen to funny clips, watch a youtube video or two or just joke around with a coworker.

5. Don't Take Work Personally
Do your best, don't take it personally. I struggle with this but I tell myself this constantly.

6. Find an Outlet
I find that if I workout 3 times a week, I generally can regulate my emotions and feelings a lot better than when I am stressed. This really helps me stay sharp and awake so I can tackle any task!

{image c/o huffington post}

No comments:

Post a Comment