Nike Women's Half Marathon

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Well folks, I did it. I ran my second half marathon. I was really worried about the race this year because I didn't train as much as I wanted to. When I first got the notification that I would be running, I was stoked. I immediately went for a 3 mile run, mind you, I wasn't running before I got that e-mail. So true to what happened last year, I got shin splints again. I took 6 weeks off to recover and focused on yoga. Unfortunately, shin splints are a b!tch, are incredibly painful, and take a long time to go away.  I believe mine were attributed to;
1. Not stretching - as I get older I found that I need to stretch more, the young muscles aren't as elastic as they once were. Still, I don't like stretching.
2. Dramatic increase of mileage - Since shin splints are common for me, I really should have taken my time with the increase in mileage. Just because I can run 3 miles, doesn't mean I should. Kind of counter intuitive but oh well.
3. Bad shoes - I got these custom insoles and I think that really attributed to the pain I felt while running.
4. Running on pavement - I should have occasionally ran on a track or grass as the hard surface isn't always ideal.

How I survived the race
I am crediting the success of the race to my KT Tape. This tape worked wonders! I taped my shins and calves prior to running and I have to say, oh my gosh did it help! I am not 100% sure about the science of this KT tape but rumor has it it slightly lifts up your skin so more blood can access the muscles. Regardless of how it works, it just works! I also like to thank my corral 10:00 to 10:59 for pushing me to keep running! Without people running past me, I would have kept walking.  Lastly, I would like to thank my body, I knew we had the endurance to run 13.1 miles but way to go legs for getting me up the hills and not giving up on me!

How I Feel
During the race I had a few pains, one being my hip flexor. I often stopped along the race to stretch that out, which REALLY helped. I don't feel sore in that area anymore. My three middle toes on my left foot sometimes get a sharp pain, not sure if its a stress fracture or plantar faciitis, but I am still watching it to this day. I was really lucky this year when it came to blisters. I felt a blister at mile 4 and got mole skin at mile 7.5, which was probably too late. Right now I am still in some pain as that blister is kind of on the ball but underneath my foot. Definitely no fun! The socks I bought specifically for this race really helped me as they were very cushioned.

After I got home from the race I took a cold cold ice bath. That was painful but I really think it helped my muscles recover. Also, Tiger Balm for the win! Still using it each day before I go to bed to help relax my muscles.

It's been 4 days since my race and my calves are still pretty tight and sore. I haven't started running yet, but I think today I'll muster up the courage to go on a nice walk after work. Moving around really helps!

With this experience being better than my last half marathon, I am already thinking about signing up for my next. I am planning on signing up for Oakland's Disneyland's and Sonoma to Napa, but we'll see what happens!

My Finishing Time!

Golden Gate Peaking Out at Marina Green

My Friends and I Before the Race

My Results!



No comments:

Post a Comment