Mai Tai

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I've been preoccupied with work and with the holidays. A few weeks ago my family went to mass to celebrate my grandfather and then to dinner at Trader Vic's. I tend to lean towards fruitier drinks because, frankly, they are delicious and you can't taste the alcohol. Since Trader Vic's in Oakland  has the claim to fame for creating the Mai Tai, I just had to order it. I ordered the 1944 Mai Tai fully expecting the cherry and slice of pineapple to turn this drink into something I can quickly gulp down.Well, it was not sweet and was actually quiet strong! The Mai Tai got it's name from the word "Maita'i" translating to "good". When the trader first made this drink back in 1944 to serve to his friend from Taihiti, exclaimed " Maita'i roa ae!" Literally translating into "very good!" Thanks to that friend, Victor named the drink the Mai Tai.

Want to make a Mai Tai for yourself? It's easy!
2 oz of Rum
Shaved Ice
Lime Juice
.5 oz of Orange Curacao
.5 oz of Simple Syrup
.5 oz of French Carnier

Shake Vigorously
Add a spring of Mint and the Lime shell

P.S. This year is Trader Vic's 80th year is business! If Mai Tai's aren't you thing, there are plenty of delicious tropical drinks on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment