Engagement Season

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Engagement Season is still holding out strong. As fewer and fewer engagements are trickling in on Facebook and Instagram, it's hard not to imagine your own engagement and lust after gorgeous rings.
I recently stumbled upon this website called Trumpet and Horn, which sells rings that fall into the 7 major time periods. Albeit the prices can be pretty steep, its fun to "oh and awe" the different trends from past decades even centuries. While some of them aren't really my style, I can't help but fall in love with the beauty and characteristics of each unique ring. I admire that this company provides great pictures of rings, educates you about diamonds, and even sorts the rings out by era.

Recently I have found myself eyeing colored stones for engagements rings. There is something about Kate Middleton's ring that breaks the traditional diamond but instead carries on the family stone and history. Diamond engagement rings didn't become popular until the 1930's and about 80% of the engagement rings were diamonds by the 1990's thanks to De Beers! Ever heard of the slogan "Diamonds are Forever"? That's that tag line that changed the engagement game after the Depression and wars.


I have to say that I am loving these emerald engagement rings! Which one do you like the best?


These days I feel like there is a tremendous amount of pressure via Facebook and Instagram to have the "best ring" or "mine will be better than hers" attitude. I believe while some competition is healthy, this kind of attitude takes away from the reason if this proposal which is a commitment to a life together. Do you get that feeling too?

What do you look for in an engagement ring? Has your style changed over the years?
xColl



1 comment:

  1. when I was younger I always wanted a flashy ring, now I'm a bit more mature I don't really know what I want. I think I would love to go with my partner and pick it, I think that would be truly lovely! What about you?? x

    www.hannahjanewilliams.co.uk

    ReplyDelete