MLK Day

Monday, January 19, 2015

"If you can't fly, then run,
If you can't run, then walk,
If you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do, 
you have to keep moving forward."
~Martin Luther King Jr.


Martin Luther King Jr. Day is always held on the third Monday of January which is usually around his birthday, January 15th. President Reagan declared this day a holiday in 1983, yet all of the 50 states didn't observe the holiday until 2000. While Martin Luther King is one of the forefathers in the Civil Rights movement, we can't forget others who have helped lead America onto a path of equal rights.

Since I am working today, I decided that tonight I will celebrate MLK Day by reading more about him and some other Civil Rights Activists. I plan to read about Rosa Parks, Betty Friedan, Harry Hay, John Peters Humphrey and Eleanor Roosevelt. Now, I picked some of these people at random, from names that seemed interesting, or had names I've never heard of. For Rosa Parks and Eleanor Roosevelt, these two women I have studied about in school. However, I think it'll be much more interesting and possibly have a larger impact reading about them again but years later.

What are you doing for MLK day?

                            "The time is always right to do what is right" ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

xColl


No comments:

Post a Comment